- Inspect and describe the ground cover and vegetation, grading, surface drainage, and retaining walls on the property when any of these are likely to adversely affect the building.
- Inspect and describe walkways, patios (contiguous to the foundation), and driveways leading to dwelling entrances; identify conditions that are hazardous, or could adversely affect the dwelling.
- Inspect and describe the condition of the visible materials of foundation walls and framing. Report the methods used to inspect the under-floor crawl space, floor, wall, ceiling, roof, structure and report the methods used to inspect the attic.
- Inspect the exterior wall covering, flashing, trim, all exterior doors, attached decks, balconies, stoops, steps, porches, and their associated railings, the eaves, soffits, and fascias where accessible from the ground level.
- Inspect the roof covering, the roof drainage systems (gutters/downspouts), the flashings, the skylights, chimneys, and roof penetrations; and describe the roof covering and report the methods used to inspect the roof (e.g. from ground, with binoculars, from ladder, etc.). Identify and report the roof style and report areas that could not be inspected.
- Describe in detail the interior water supply and distribution including all fixtures and faucets, drains, waste and vent systems including all fixtures, the water heating equipment, the vent systems, flues, and chimneys, the fuel storage and fuel distribution systems, the drainage sumps, sump pumps, and related piping, and the location of main water and main fuel shut-off valves.
- Inspect the service drop, the service entrance conductors, cables, and raceways, the service equipment and main disconnects, the service grounding, the interior components of service panels and sub panels, the conductors, the over-current protection devices, installed lighting fixtures, switches, and receptacles, the ground fault circuit interrupters.
- Describe the amperage and voltage rating of the service, the location of main disconnects and sub panels, the wiring methods; and report on the presence of solid conductor aluminum branch circuit wiring and on the absence of smoke detectors.
- Inspect the installed heating equipment, the vent systems, flues, and chimneys; and describe the energy source, the heating method by its distinguishing characteristics.
- Report the type of fuel and the estimated or approximate age. Operate and report the condition of thermostats. Inspect and report the condition of a representative number of supply and return openings.
- Inspect the installed central and through-wall cooling equipment; and describe the energy source, the cooling method by its distinguishing characteristics.
- Report the equipment type, size and approximate age (if specified on the service tag). Operate the equipment (weather permitting) by normal control controls and report the condition.
- Inspect the walls, ceilings, and floors, the steps, stairways, and railings, the countertops, installed cabinets, doors, and windows. Describe and report the condition and any defects or deficiencies.
- Describe style, size and location of an attached garage. Operate garage doors and garage door operators and report any defects or deficiencies.
INSULATION AND VENTILATION
- Inspect the insulation and vapor retarders in unfinished spaces, the ventilation of attics and foundation areas, the mechanical ventilation systems; and describe the insulation and vapor retarders in unfinished spaces, the absence of insulation in unfinished spaces at conditioned surfaces.
FIREPLACES AND SOLID BURNING APPLIANCES
- Inspect the system components, the vent systems, flues, and chimneys; and describe the fireplaces, solid fuel burning appliances, and the chimneys.